In this 21st century, information is wealth. One who has and owns more information is the wealthiest person on earth (Not you Google!). Technological advances brought us to the new addictive handheld machines called phones and phones are the gateways to your personal data. Considering an increase in the number of iPhone thefts and how often one loses the data, taking a data backup in a regular fashion is crucial. Here we’ve discussed backing up your iPhone data using iCloud.
Our physical storage is confined to very limited memory space, whereas cloud storage offered by providers is huge in size and they are like God. yes! Omnipresent. We can access cloud anywhere, at any time.
There are several ways to backup iPhone data. The most common and recommended way is to back up using iCloud. iCloud data backup is safe and secure.
What is iCloud?
iCloud is a cloud storage service from Apple Inc. for Apple device users including iPhone and iPad. iCloud is launched in 2012 and it has over 850 million active users. iCloud is built into every single Apple device. You can store your documents, notes, photos, videos, contacts, calendar, voice memo, SMS and any other important data to your iCloud account from your iPhone and restore it any time.
iCloud offers 5 GB of free storage space for every user. If you need more than 5 GB, you can pay a monthly fee and get up to 2 TB of storage space. The significance of backing up your data to iCloud is that your data remains encrypted.
How to backup iPhone data to iCloud?
Follow the below steps to backup your iPhone data to iCloud.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your device and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings -> [Your Name].
- Tap on iCloud and go to iCloud Backup.
- Tap on Back Up Now to start the backup process.
- Notice the progress and make sure the device is connected to the internet until the process completes.
Notice the Last successful backup date and time.
Set up Automatic Backup to iCloud
You can let your device to perform backup automatically to iCloud every day. Follow the below steps to set it up.
- Go to Settings -> [Your Name] and tap on iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup and enable iCloud Backup by tapping the toggle button. If the toggle button is green in color, it means iCloud auto backup is enabled.
Thereafter your device data will be automatically backed up to iCloud. You do not need to worry about backing up your phone data periodically. You can ensure the last back up date and time on the iCloud Backup settings screen.
Just remember that the automatic backup process will be done only if the device satisfies all the below three conditions.
- The device should be connected to a power source.
- The device should be connected to an active Wi-Fi internet connection. Go ahead and connect. If you don’t have one, drive into town and find a restaurant which offers free wifi.
- The device screen should be locked.
Restore the Backup from iCloud
If you got a new iPhone and want your old iPhone’s data in the new one, then you can simply restore the data from iCloud. In case if you did a factory reset on your iPhone, then you can get all the data back into your device with this feature. Follow the below steps to restore data from iCloud.
- Turn on your device and follow the setup screens.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi connection
- On the Apps & Data screen tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in to your iCloud account with your credentials.
- Once you login, all the backed up data with different date and time will be displayed. Select the desired one to restore. Wait until the restoring process is complete.
Make sure the device is connected to Wi-Fi network until the restoring process is complete. The duration of this process depends on the size of your backup and the internet speed.
Things to remember when you restore data from iCloud
- Your account settings are restored from the iCloud backup you choose.
- Your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps and books are restored.
- You need to enter your account credentials multiple times in iTunes, App Store and Apple book accounts.
- Some of the apps in the older version may get replaced with the latest version.
- Once the restore operation is complete, all the data is automatically backed up.
How to do a factory reset on iPhone?
If you want to erase all the data and settings from your iPhone and set it up as a new device, follow the below steps.
Important: Before proceeding with the reset process, please ensure that you have the latest backup in iCloud to restore. Go to Settings -> [your name] -> iCloud -> Manage Storage -> Backups to check the available backups. Tap on a backup to see the date and time backup taken.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Reset.
- Then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your Apple account’s password and confirm. Wait until the wiping process is over.
- Then restore the data from an iCloud backup using the steps discussed above.
Make sure your data is regularly backed-up to prevent data loss. Do not lose your loved ones’ pictures and memory because of storage space limitations. You’ll need them, so treasure it with iCloud.