It’s too ancient to search for an image with keywords. Google is our best buddy that can give you exactly what you want if you just know to talk right. In this context, talking right means just searching right. If you want to collect some information about a picture that you have, then all you need to do is a Google Reverse Image search.
What is Google Reverse Image search?
It is a process of searching for images on the web with an image you have. By using the reverse image search feature of Google you can get
- Similar images of the image you search.
- The list of websites and articles with the image you search.
- Different versions of the image that differs by resolution or size.
Sounds interesting, isn’t? Let us see how to do a Google Reverse Image Search on a PC and mobile phones.
Do Reverse Image Search in a PC
Google Reverse Image Search feature is supported by most web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari. There are different ways to do a Reverse Image Search in a PC.
Search with URL of the image
If you have an URL of an image that you want to search for, follow the below steps.
- Open Google Images page in your web browser.
- Click Search by image icon next to the Google search bar.
- Paste the image URL in the “Paste image URL” textbox and click “Search by image” button.
- Wait for a few seconds. The results page will show the list of web sites with similar images.
By uploading an image
If you have a picture and you want to search the web for similar images by doing a Google Reverse Image Search, follow the below steps.
- Open Google Images page and click Search by image icon in your web browser.
- In the popup click “Upload an image” tab and click “Browse” button.
- In the opened “File upload” dialog, select the image file with which you want to perform a Google Reverse Image Search.
Drag and drop an image file
Drag and drop an image to perform Reverse Image Search on Google is supported by Chrome and Firefox browsers only. To do it,
- Open Google Images page in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- Click Search by image icon.
- Drag and drop the picture from your computer’s drive into the Search by image box in your browser.
- The file will get uploaded and the results page will be opened within a few seconds.
Search with an image from websites
If you want to search for an image with another picture that you found on a website, follow the below steps.
Important: This feature is only available in Google Chrome.
- Go to the web page of the post with the image in Chrome.
- Navigate to the image and do a right-click on that image.
- Click “Search Google for Image”.
- A new tab with the image search results will be opened in Chrome.
Do Reverse Image Search in an Android device
To do a Google Reverse Image search in your Android device, you can use either one of the below methods.
On Google Chrome
- Go to the Google Image search page on your Android phone or tablet’s Chrome browser.
- Search for the pictures you want.
- Tap on the image you want to do a reverse search.
- Touch and hold on the enlarged picture.
- On the opened popup tap “Search Google for this image”.
- The reverse image search results will be opened.
Upload a picture into Google Lens
- Open the Google app in your Android device.
- Tap “Updates” at the bottom tab.
- Tap the Google Lens icon at the bottom left.
- The camera will be opened. You can either take a photo or click the Gallery icon to upload a photo from your device’s gallery.
Do Reverse Image Search in an iPhone/iPad
There are two ways to do a Reverse Image Search on an iPhone.
Search with a picture from clipboard
Follow the below steps to do a reverse search with a picture that you have in your device.
- Copy the image file to your device’s clipboard.
- Open the Google app and tap the search bar.
- Tap on “Search for this image” under “From clipboard”.
- The search results will be opened.
Upload from gallery and search
If you want to do a reverse search with a picture from gallery, follow the below steps.
- Open the Google app on your iPhone/iPad and tap Google Lens.
- You can either take a photo or click the Gallery icon to upload a photo from your device’s gallery.
- Tap anywhere on the image to circle the part of the image and search.
What Google will do with the pictures you have uploaded?
Now the biggest question that you may have in your mind is what will Google do with the pictures that I uploaded for reverse search? The answer is Google may store your images up to 7 days in their server and they will use those pictures to improve their services.