Screenshots play a vital role in our day to day gadgets life. They help others to look at your screen through your eyes. By which I mean, if you want to share a crazy Instagram post to your friend who doesn’t have an Instagram account, the best way is to snap a screenshot and share it with him. They not only help you to share information but also help you to archive the past. Here are the different ways to make screenshots effectively in Windows PC.
Take Screenshots with Keyboard
Using the PrtScr (Print Screen) key is one of the simplest ways to take screenshots on Windows. Different combinations give different results.
1. Capture to Clipboard
If you want to capture your computer’s full screen, follow this method.
- Make sure that your monitor has all the windows that you want to screenshot and press the PrtScr key.
- Open MS Paint and press Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot.
- Edit if required and save the file.
Note: You can paste the screenshot from Clipboard into any document that allows images like email body, Word or ppt document.
2. Capture and Save
If you want to save the screenshot directly instead of Clipboard, follow the below steps. This is useful while taking a large number of screenshots or if you don’t want to edit the picture before saving it. Of course, you can edit it later.
- Press WinKey + PrtScr keys together (WinKey = Windows logo key).
- Your computer’s screen will dim for a moment to notify the screen got captured.
- Your screenshots will be saved as .png format into C:\Users\[username]\Pictures\Screenshots.
Note: In this method, the screen becomes dim only if Windows animation is enabled in Visual Effects settings. If it is disabled, the screenshot will be taken without a dim screen.
3. Capture a Window
If you want to take a screenshot of a specific Window instead of the entire screen,
- Just click on the window to make the window as active.
- Press Alt + PrtScr keys together.
- Open MS Paint and paste the screenshot.
Take Screenshots with Apps
There are some built-in tools and some exclusive tools for taking screenshots provided by third parties.
4. Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool is a built-in screen capturing application available in Windows. Follow the below steps to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool.
- Open the Snipping Tool from the Windows Start menu.
- Click on Mode option to select your preferred snipping mode from
- Window or Full-screen
- You can set the time delay to capture the screen if required using the Delay option.
- Click on New to capture.
- Move your mouse cursor to select the capturing area on the screen.
- Hit Escape (Esc) key to cancel the capturing process.
- Snipping Tool has basic editing options to edit the captured screenshot.
- Click Save snip button or File -> Save As… to save the image.
5. Snip & Sketch
Snip & Sketch is an improved Windows screen capturing application. It has several features that the Snipping tool doesn’t have.
- Press WinKey + Shift + S to start Snip & Sketch.
- Click the down arrow next to New button and select an option of your choice from
- Snip now
- Snip in 3 seconds
- Snip in 10 seconds
- The screen will be greyed out and ready for screen capturing.
- A mini toolbar will appear on top of the screen with different options for taking a screenshot, which are
- Rectangular clip
- Freeform clip
- Fullscreen clip
- Select any one and use your mouse to capture the screen.
- Press Esc key to exit and start over.
- Snip and Sketch have some advanced options to edit the captured image.
- Edit the image if you want and press Ctrl + S to save the picture.
6. Game Bar
Game Bar is a floating toolbar that allows capturing screen on Windows 10. It is mostly used by gamers to record the screen while playing a game.
- Press WinKey + G to open the Game Bar.
- Click on the camera icon in the Capture box to take a screenshot.
- The picture will be saved in C:\Users\[username]\Videos\Captures.
Note: The default shortcut for taking a screenshot with Game Bar is WinKey + Alt + PrtScr. You can change this into your own key combination on Windows Settings -> Gaming -> Game bar.
ShareX is a free software that allows you to take screenshots or screencasts efficiently.
- Download and install ShareX into your PC.
- Open ShareX app.
- Click on the Capture menu to see numerous options for making screenshots.
- Select the option of your choice to take a screenshot.
- Click the Screenshots folder… button to see the captured pictures.
Don’t miss to explore every feature of ShareX as it has a lot of options.
Snagit is a well-known paid screen capture app. It offers a 15 days free trial of its full version with no limitation. You can take a screenshot of a scrolling area with Snagit.
- Download and install Snagit.
- Open Snagit Capture window and select Image tab.
- Click on the Capture button or press the PrtScr button.
- Move your mouse cursor to select on the area with the red crosshair.
- Choose from Fullscreen, Window, Region or Scrolling options to finish the process.
- Use the Snagit Image Editor to edit the screenshot taken and save it.
If there is any other way to screenshot on Windows that is not listed here, let me know in the comments section. Thank you.
Want to screenshot on Mac? Try this – How to Take Screenshots on Mac? With and without keyboard